Friday, April 8, 2011

Remembering

     Just thinking  about a journey I took on this day a few years ago.   I was living as a single mother on welfare.  One child (my first) still crawling and needing to be carried because he refused to walk even though he was 11 months old.  I was quite small, at being nine months pregnant.  I lived in a one bedroom apartment above a furniture store.  I had grown up in this town, graduated from high school here, and knew many of it's people, including the owners of the store below. 
     Like many pregnant women, I was very tired of being "with child".  This particular day I had to see my Dr.  Anyway, I was started into labor.  I had my aunt Viola (a nurse) with me to help me and I had my second baby soon after starting into labor. 
     There she was, so small, so beautiful, with light reddish curly hair and a warm, wonderful, body to hold and kiss.  I wasn't the only one smiling....I felt like the whole world was smiling with me. 
     This child though the years has given me so much happiness and joy.  Is it still a smile when there are tears in my eyes?  It's just LOVE.

No comments: