Thursday, June 23, 2011

Maturity

   I remember being 15 and knowing everything, or at least I thought so.  I had a boyfriend who I totally trusted and believed he knew everything about anything.  I felt perfectly safe with him knowing he would always take care of me.  My Mother and Father tried to tell me stuff about life in general.  "It's not like that anymore", I would say.  I didn't exactly know how old they were but they weren't "in the know".  They were my parents and wanted what was good for me.  In my mind they just wanted to tell me what to do and how to do it.
     Now in my adulthood, I've learned a few things in life.  My children are all over 21 and so you would call them adults.  I have a couple that really don't fall into the adult category mentally.  As their Mother, I love them more than life itself.  I wouldn't do anything to hurt them or steer them wrong.  I give them the best advice I possibly can, even if unsolicited.  If there is anyone in the whole world that they can trust, it is me.  Now is the question, why don't they listen to me?  Has their mentality stopped at 14 or 15?  Do they feel like I would tell them something that would harm them?  I'm just a parent living with the same questions as my parents had.  Why don't they listen to me, take my advice, trust me?

1 comment:

Kellie Roring said...

And life has a funny was of repeating itself..
They will ask the same questions of their children, or maybe not..